1. 1 cup beaten rice (poha)
2. 1/2 cup whisked curds (dahi) dissolved in 1/2 cup of water
3. 1/2 cup grated bottle gourd (doodhi / lauki)
4. 1/2 cup grated carrot
5. 1/4 cup boiled green peas
6. 1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
7. 1 tsp sugar
8. 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
9. 1/2 tsp chilli powder
10. 5 tbsp besan (bengal gram flour)
11. salt to taste
12. oil for deep-frying
For The Tempering:-
1. 1 tsp oil
2. 1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
3. 2 tsp sesame seeds (til)
4. 2 pinches of asafoetida (hing)
Place the poha in a sieve and hold it under running water for a few seconds. Keep aside for 2 minutes for the water to drain out completely.
Combine the soaked and drained poha, curds-water mixture in a deep bowl , mix well and cover and keep aside for 20 to 25 minutes.
Add all the remaining ingredients and ¼ cup water, mix well and keep aside.
For the tempering, heat the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds.
When the seeds crackle, add the sesame seeds and asafoetida, and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
Remove from flame, add this tempering to the poha mixture and mix well.
Heat the oil in a deep kadhai and drop spoonfuls of the mixture using your fingers and deep-fry, a few at a time, till they turn golden brown in color from all the sides.
Repeat with the remaining mixture to make more bhajias. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
Serve immediately with tomato ketchup
SERVING:- 17 to 20 Bhajis.